Popular Posts

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Grow Old Gracefully

Photo taken by Rebecca Hosking

GROW OLD GRACEFULLY

Age used to scare me
I think back when I was young
Mom and Dad made life seem so easy
But I saw Mom cry sometimes when the day was done
She laid her head in his hands
It scared me to think
What could be so bad
What crushed their world in this way
The only thing I could think of as a child
Must have been age
Time went by like it always does
Those hard times were never pressed in my thoughts
I never knew the struggles
The sacrifices they made
I never saw the world through their eyes
I wrote it off because of my age
I learned so much over the years
Sometimes I run
And sometimes I face my fears
Age used to scare me
It still can but not like before
Look at all the memories it gave me
All these things that I didn’t have before
I have learned courage
And what we have as a family
Is strength in numbers
We stood together through good or bad
Now I know age doesn’t really matter
Standing together is all I need in my man
Age used to scare me
But think of the gifts and knowledge that age can give
Now I just want to grow old gracefully
And live and let live
Just like my parents did

R. Hosking © 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment